Religious Education Information for Parents
The Cathedral's Religious Education program is designed to help your child grow spiritually at their individual level of experience and comprehension. Integral to each class session is an understanding of the gospel message of Jesus Christ; its application to their lives as Catholic Christians, and the teachings and traditions of our church.
Religious Education classes are designed for children who are not enrolled in parochial school. Children in parochial schools are welcome to be part of the Cathedral's RE community. In order to participate, a baptism certificate is required. RE classes are for registered Cathedral Parishioners.
Please realize that the program is meant only to supplement your vocation as a parent. This vocation covers everything from caring for your child’s daily needs, chauffeuring him or her to and from school or other activities, playing ball with him or her, to saying nighttime prayers. What you do and say during daily life teaches more to your child then we can ever hope to accomplish in our instruction each week.
As you minister to your children, be especially mindful of the following expectations, which are in keeping with the basic tenets of the Catholic Christian tradition.
Please plan to:
- Attend Mass weekly.
- Share your gifts of time, talent, and treasure.
- Keep connected as a ‘church community’.
- Make prayer and our faith an important part of your daily life.
By modeling these behaviors, you are setting the best possible example for your child.
With the help of the parish staff, catechists, volunteers, and you, the parent, I pledge to do my best to ensure a fruitful year of Religious Education for your child. If you have any questions or concerns about the program, please call me at 327-2330.
Director of Religious Education
Sacramental preparation is a two year program. First Holy Communion preparation begins in first grade and Confirmation preparation begins in seventh.
Reconciliation (Confession) and First Eucharist (Communion) are celebrated here in 2nd grade. Parents instruct their child at home using materials provided by the Religious Education office, and with ongoing support from our staff. Dates for parent and/or student meetings will be made available at the first meeting.
Confirmation is currently celebrated in the 8th grade. Most preparation and instruction takes place in the 8th grade classroom twice a month and at a mandatory retreat. There is also a Wednesday evening class option.
Some children have medical conditions, learning or behavioral concerns. Please indicate this information on the registration forms so we can provide appropriate care. In the event that you overlooked the back portion of the registration form pertaining to special needs, please feel free to call the Religious Education office to provide such information. All information is confidential and used only to help your child's success in the program.
All information relative to a student’s classroom performance or of a personal nature is confidential and will be treated as such by the catechists, office aides, and Religious Education staff.
Progress reports for each student will be completed by the catechist at mid-year and mailed to the parent. These are very general in nature. Parent-teacher conferences are available if requested by the parents.
Children not registered in the program may not accompany your child to class for a number reasons, one being safety issues. Please, do not send unregistered children to RE class.
In the event of severe weather, classes will be canceled if city officials are advising people to remain home. All Nashville television stations will be asked to announce Cathedral Religious Education cancellations.
Cathedral Religious Education Philosophy
Parents are the primary educators of their children. With this in mind, our staff regards the religious formation of a person as springing from three sources:
- The lived family life and religious consciousness that can occur only in the home.
- Classroom instruction imparting basic knowledge regarding the church community and the life and teaching of Jesus Christ.
- Support from the Religious Education office that enables parents to prepare their child for the reception of the Sacraments.
Religious Education Classes
The Cathedral offers the following, which closely follows the academic year: (September-April) All classes meet on Sundays in St Albert Hall.
- Preschool through 7th grade meet from 9:45-10:45.
- Grade 8 – The Confirmation class meets at Noon, twice a month beginning in October.
Religious Education Guidelines
- Be sure your child arrives on time and strive for weekly attendance.
- If a child misses two consecutive classes, parents will be contacted.
- Doughnuts are not allowed in the classroom. Please finish food and drinks before arriving for class.
- Make an effort early in the year to introduce yourself to your child’s catechist and aide.
- Please contact the Religious Education office if your child is unable to attend a class, if you move, change phone numbers, or if your child drops from the program for any reason.
A reminder concerning classroom behavior, as stated in the letter you received.
- Follow directions and classroom rules.
- Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
- No teasing or inappropriate language
- Cell phones and other electronic devices are to be turned off and put away during class.
In order to facilitate spiritual growth, all the children deserve the most positive classroom climate possible. If a student chooses to disregard one of the above mentioned expectations, he or she will first receive a warning from the catechist. If the misbehavior continues, he or she will be sent to the Directors office to talk about and personally reflect on their misbehavior.
2016-17 School Year
Register your child(ren) for the 2016-2017 Religious Ed school year here!